Data acquisition SBC off PCIe/104 and mPCIe expansionsEngineering360 News Desk | November 08, 2021
Diamond Systems, a global provider for compact, rugged, I/O-rich embedded computing solutions, has introduced Saturn Rugged Apollo Lake x5-E3940 single board computer (SBC) with data acquisition and PCIe/104 expansion.
Saturn combines a feature-rich Atom-class processor-based SBC with a professional-quality industrial analog and digital data acquisition subsystem and flexible I/O expansion in a single board measuring 4.0 inches x 4.5 inches, designed for rugged applications.
Saturn includes the following key features and functionality:
• Intel "Apollo Lake" x5-E3940 1.6 GHz (burstable 1.8 GHz) quad-core processor with 15-year lifecycle
• Rugged design with: o 4 GB non-ECC or 8GB ECC RAM soldered down
o Thicker PCB and latching connectors increase resistance to shock and vibration
o Bottom side heat spreader with integrated thermal pad provides efficient cooling and convenient mounting
o Full -40° C to 85° C industrial operating temperature range
• Integrated professional-quality analog and digital data acquisition subsystem with software support
• Highly expandable with:
o PCIe/104 OneBank I/O expansion connector with 4 PCIe x1 and 2 USB 2.0 connections
o Minicard expansion socket for versatile low-cost I/O
o M.2 2242 SATA socket supports up to 1 TB flashdisk
Saturn was designed from the ground up with a comprehensive set of features to meet the challenges of rugged environments and applications:
• Memory is soldered down to avoid problems that can occur with commercial style SODIMM type memory modules
• The 50% thicker PCB increases rigidity and improves reliability of fine pitch and highball-count BGA solder joints
• All I/O connectors are latching for increased ruggedness
• A bottom-side heat spreader provides more efficient cooling than a traditional heat sink. Processor and memory chips are both thermally connected to the heat spreader. The exterior surface features recessed thermal pads for improved thermal connectivity to the system enclosure.
• All components are rated or tested to ensure reliable -40° C to 85° C operation.
Saturn has an integrated professional quality data acquisition system with autocalibration and Universal Driver programming support, making it Diamond Systems’ newest 2-in-1 SBC containing the CPU + I/O and DAQ subsystem on a single board. This 2-in-1 design reduces cost, saves space, and decreases weight.
• 16 single-ended / 8 differential analog inputs
• 16-bit A/D resolution
• 250 KHz maximum A/D sample rate
• Four 16-bit single-ended analog outputs
• 24 digital I/O, 3.3 V logic/5 V tolerant inputs
Autocalibration increases accuracy over time and temperature swings. Another benefit is that the process can be done as often as desired because no physical access is required.
Saturn utilizes the OneBank cost effective, compact PCIe expansion connector to allow its use with hundreds of I/O expansion boards from Diamond Systems and other embedded systems vendors around the world. It benefits the customer by enabling them to design a rugged custom-tailored system based on off-the-shelf components to create a perfect fit solution. Saturn includes M.2 2242 SATA socket supports up to 1TB flashdisk. Saturn also includes minicard expansion socket with PCIe and USB support for versatile low-cost I/O. Board support packages are available for Windows 10 64-bit and Linux 64-bit operating systems. Saturn is available in four models to meet various application needs.