Fast charging and battery management systems for electric vehicles have become more popular as commuters rely on energy efficient options for transportation. With commuters moving away from flex-fuel based ethanol mixtures, electric vehicles are becoming more standardized and environmentally friendly. Standex-Meder Electronics has developed various products including planar transformers for use in eCars. The P560 and P900 series planar transformer with a combined 5kW-30kW power range have transformed the efficiency within inverters in fast charging units. Furthermore hi-current planar inductors can serve within the same efficient, low-profile packages.
· Download our "Planar Magnetics Design Guide"
Partner, Solve, and Deliver®
For example, a manufacturer approached Standex-Meder with the challenge to provide a reduction in height of 50% from a traditional wire-wound transformer and create a custom solution that met their specifications. All this, while maintaining their footprint with higher efficiency and exceptional thermal management. The engineered custom solution included a planar transformer customized to fit their manufacturing and functional needs. Our custom and standard planar transformers serve a wide array of power ranges with low, medium, and high frequencies ideally suited for electric vehicle fast charging and battery management systems.
Benefits of Planar Technology vs. Wire-Wound
· Low package profile relative to wire-wound equivalent
· Low leakage inductance, extremely efficient high-frequency operation, 98-99% to 40 kHz – 500kHz
· Minimum skin effect/flat windings + reduced proximity effect (Low AC losses)
· Excellent repeatability thanks to pre-tooled components
· Easy termination of multiple windings
· Standard outlines compatible with application-specific custom designs
· Lend themselves to sophisticated and effective thermal management
· Volumetric efficiency (small size)
· Low turns count improves Cu loss
· Optimized core cross section lowers core loss
· Large core surface area promotes heat transfer
· Reliable PCB construction