DOT Issues Revised Guidance for Autonomous VehiclesDavid Wagman | September 13, 2017
The U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released new federal guidance for Automated Driving Systems (ADS): A Vision for Safety 2.0. This is the latest guidance for automated driving systems to industry and states. (Read the voluntary guidelines.)
A statement says that the guidance builds on previous policy and incorporates feedback from public comments and congressional hearings.
The voluntary guidance is intended to:
- Focus on SAE International Levels of Automation 3-5—Automated Driving Systems (ADSs—Conditional, High and Full Automation);
- Clarify the guidance process and that entities do not need to wait to test or deploy their ADSs;
- Revise unnecessary design elements from the safety self-assessment;
- Align federal guidance with the latest developments and industry terminology;
- Clarify federal and state roles.