Aberdeen Boasts World's First Hydrogen Dual Fuel Street SweeperS. Himmelstein | March 23, 2018
The streets of Aberdeen, Scotland, will now be kept clean with the help of renewable energy. The Aberdeen City Council recently took delivery of the world’s first hydrogen dual fuel road sweeper. The vehicle supplied by Liverpool, UK-based ULEMCo Ltd. relies on hydrogen fuel for around a third of the energy used to drive and operate, resulting in notable contributions to carbon dioxide emission reductions. Emission savings of about 30 percent are projected.
Engineers retrofitted a standard EURO 6 DAF truck to run on both diesel and hydrogen fuel. The sweepers can be refueled at the state of the art Aberdeen City Hydrogen Energy Storage hydrogen station, which makes hydrogen from renewable electricity, on a daily basis. This is designed to ensure that use of dual fuel is maximized throughout the day.
The hydrogen conversion system provided y ULEMCo includes:
- 350 bar (5,000 psi) storage tanks
- 350 bar refueling pressure nozzle
- 350 bar pressure pipework and regulators
- Injection system
- Dual fuel switch and unique H2ICED engine control unit
- Wiring system and safety components
- Appropriate vehicle road use paperwork
- Data management system (where needed)
- 24/7 support and training
- Maintenance and service package
- 12-month free warranty