Society of Women Engineers Announces Annual Award WinnersEngineering360 News Desk | August 07, 2015
The Society of Women Engineers announced the recipients of its annual awards program. All will be recognized at the awards banquet during WE15, a conference for women engineers to be held Oct. 23, 2015 in Nashville, Tenn.
"Part of the initiative to inspire women to explore opportunities in STEM and encourage them to reach their fullest potential in their careers is providing recognition to those who are positively impacting the field," says Colleen Layman, president of SWE. "These are the role models who lead by example and inspire the current and next generation. We are honored to have them as part of our mission."
The awards recipients are as follows:
Achievement Award - The highest award given by SWE, bestowed for an outstanding contribution over a significant period of time in a field of engineering.
- Naira Hovakimyan, Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Suzanne Jenniches Upward Mobility Award Endowed by Northrop Grumman Corp. - Celebrating an individual's rise to success and contribution to the decision-making process within their organization.
- Barbara Brockett, Honeywell Aerospace
Rodney D. Chipp Memorial - Celebrates the work of a man or company who has made a significant contribution to the acceptance and advancement of women in engineering.
- Hussein K. Mecklai, Intel Corp.
- Brian J. Rauch, Ph.D., John Deere
- Lee Tschanz, Rockwell Automation
Work/Life Integration - Celebrates an individual who has worked to create programs that help women engineers and other employees balance the commitments of career, life and family.
- Karla Tankersley, Cornerstone Brands, Inc
Distinguished Engineering Educator - Presented to an individual who has made significant contributions to the engineering profession through education.
- Nandika Anne D'Souza, P.E., Ph.D., University of North Texas
Advocating Women in Engineering - Honors an individual who has demonstrated professional excellence in their chose STEM field and has proven to be an advocate of women in engineering and SWE's objectives.
- Roberta Banaszak Gleiter, F.SWE, The Aerospace Corp.
- Casee M. Eisele, John Deere
- Agnes Chau Klucha, UTC Aerospace Systems
- Patty Lopez, Ph.D., Intel Corp.
- Lynn Tinker, Sikorsky Aircraft
Global Leadership - Honors an individual who has made an outstanding contribution in the field of engineering and/or technical management in an international setting.
- Juliette J. McCoy, Ford Motor Co.
- Mary Petryszyn, F.SWE, Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Joan Tafoya, Intel Corp.
Prism - Recognizes an individual who has charted her own path in the STEM fields by demonstrating a variety of outstanding career leadership activities in a technical field, as well as leadership in professional organizations and the community.
- Rosalind Fox, John Deere
- Lakecia Gunter, Intel Corp.
- Rahima K. Mohammed, Ph.D., Intel Corp.
Spark - Honors an individual who has contributed to the advancement of women by mentoring those around them.
- Lew Dennis, Chevron Environmental Management Co.
- Lisa Gable, IBM
- Barbara H. McAllister, Intel Corp.
- Jane Orsulak, Raytheon Intelligence, Information and Services
- Shawn Emerson Simmons, Ph.D., ExxonMobil Corp.
Emerging Leader - Honors individuals who have been actively engaged in an engineering or technology profession, and has demonstrated outstanding technical excellence as an individual resulting in significant accomplishments.
- Sumita Basu, Ph.D., Intel Corp.
- Jennifer I. Braganza, Bank of America
- Noramay Cadena, The Boeing Co.
- Jocelyne Gray, P.E., Mason County Public Utility District No. 1
- Kerrie L. Greenfelder, P.E., Burns & McDonnell
- Irma Khan, Caterpillar Inc.
- Lori A. Masso, Raytheon Co.
- Katherine Medalle, Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Shaila Murty, Intel Corp.
- Jessica Snyder, The Dow Chemical Co.
SWE Distinguished New Engineer - Honors women engineers who have been actively engaged in engineering in the first 10 years of their careers.
- Ester Marie Barbuto
- Dana J. Day, The Boeing Co.
- Brittney Elko, GENENTECH
- Susanna Martinez Kirkland, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc.
- Kalyani Mallela, Starkey Hearing Technologies
- Michelle Montepara, Sikorsky Aircraft
- Rachel Morford, The Aerospace Corp.
- Shelley Stracener, Heads Up Technologies
- Victoria Borchers Tinsley, Total Petrochemicals and Refining USA, Inc.
- Kate Van Dellen, Self Employed
Fellow Grade - Honor conferred on SWE members in recognition of continuous service to the advancement of women in the engineering profession.
- Margo Bubb, Caterpillar Inc.
- Stacey DelVecchio, Caterpillar Inc.
- Lynda Grindstaff, Intel Corp.
- Sandra L. Pettit, P.E., Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- Beth Snyder, The Boeing Co.
Outstanding Faculty Advisor - Celebrates an outstanding contribution by a SWE advisor to a SWE collegiate section.
- Marca Lam, Ph.D., Rochester Institute of Technology
Outstanding SWE Counselor- Celebrates an outstanding contribution by a SWE leader/counselor to a WE collegiate section.
- Charlene Willenbring, UTC Aerospace Systems
SWE Outstanding Collegiate Member - Bestowed upon SWE collegiate members who have made an outstanding contribution to SWE, the engineering community and their campus.
- Emily Deas, The University of Texas at Austin
- Katharine Brumbaugh Gamble, Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin
- Carina Hahn, University of Utah
- Melissa Lindsey, The Ohio State University
- Leah Meeks, Ph.D., Utah State University
- Sangeetha Mylvaganam, The University of Texas at Austin
- Leabeth Mae Peterson, Humboldt State University
- Abigail M. Spohn, University of Dayton
- Brooke Sroczynski, University of Dayton
- Dhanalakshmi Thiygarajan, University of Pittsburgh