Using the right adhesive for product prototyping might be the last thing you would normally think about, but it does make a difference. Acrylic adhesives are relied on by manufacturers around the world for designing and producing innovative new products—they improve aesthetics, bond to both plastics and metals, and even deliver a secure bond between oily or contaminated surfaces.
Yet traditional acrylic adhesives present product designers with a number of barriers that can hamper their efforts. These include high levels of odor, longer set times, lower impact resistance and limited shelf life. That’s why 3M’s scotch-weld structural adhesives product development team focused on solving these challenges. Their next-generation adhesives are designed to improve both productivity and performance, while also reducing environmental costs and concerns. Components that set the adhesive apart from traditional products include lower odor, faster cure, higher impact resistance and a longer shelf life with easier storage.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these components:
- Lower odor: The 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Acrylic Adhesives 8800 series represents a dramatic improvement over traditional formulations, helping to improve your environment as well as operator health and safety.
- Faster cure: High throughput and increased productivity are inherent in the use of DP8805NS, a product with twice the rate of strength build of ordinary acrylic adhesives. It can reach over 1,000 psi (7 MPa) of overlap shear strength in less than nine minutes, allowing prototypes to be built more quickly.
- Higher impact resistance: Improved resistance helps make your products more durable. DP8405NS is ideal for many industrial applications, with over three times the impact strength of conventional acrylic adhesives.
- Longer shelf life/easier storage: The 18-month shelf life of the Scotch-Weld Structural Acrylic Adhesives family is more than double that of conventional products, helping to reduce scrap and disposal costs due to expired inventory. They also benefit workflow logistics, as they require no refrigeration to store.
Other components that set the Scotch-Weld Structural Acrylic Adhesives products apart include:
- High peel strength, reducing product failure;
- Elevated temperature performance, maintaining structural strength at 180° F (82° C);
- Green accelerator dye, allowing for easy visual confirmation of mix ratio;
- Glass beads for controlled bond line thickness, producing structural bonds with consistent quality;
- Longer nozzle life than similar fast-curing adhesives, saving money through fewer nozzle changeovers;
- Lower exotherm than similar fast-curing adhesives, meaning that less heat is generated on heat-sensitive substrates;
- Heat-accelerated cure when needed, producing structural strength in seconds at 150° F (70° C).
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Acrylic Adhesives are ideal for numerous applications and are particularly suited to panel build new structures in the transport, HVAC, office and shop-fitting sectors.
For more information, visit us online at RS Components.