Fast chargers for all types of electric vehicles and industries have become more popular as commuters rely on energy efficient options for transportation. With commuters moving away from ethanol based fuel mixtures, electric vehicles are becoming more standardized and environmentally friendly.
Our custom and standard planar transformers and inductors serve a wide array of power ranges and operating frequencies ideally suited for electric vehicle fast charging, onboard chargers, DC/DC converters, battery management systems, and more. Planar technology offers improved power density and performance compared to equivalent wire wound transformer designs.
Standex-Meder Electronics has developed various planar transformers for use in fast charging applications. The P560 and P900 planar transformer series with a combined 5kW-30kW power range have transformed the efficiency within inverters in fast charging units.
Furthermore, hi-current planar inductors can serve within the same efficient, low-profile packages.
For example, a manufacturer approached Standex-Meder with the challenge to provide a reduction in height of 50% from a traditional wire-wound transformer and create a custom solution that met their specifications. All this, while maintaining their footprint with higher efficiency and exceptional thermal management. The engineered custom solution included a planar transformer customized to fit their manufacturing and functional needs.
Benefits of Planar Technology vs. Wire-Wound
- Low package profile relative to wire-wound equivalent
- Low leakage inductance, extremely efficient high-frequency operation, 98-99% to 40 kHz - 500kHz
- Minimum skin effect/flat windings + reduced proximity effect (Low AC losses)
- Excellent repeatability thanks to pre-tooled components
- Easy termination of multiple windings
- Standard outlines compatible with application-specific custom designs
- Lend themselves to sophisticated and effective thermal management
- Volumetric efficiency (small size)
- Low turns count improves Cu loss
- Optimized core cross section lowers core loss
- Large core surface area promotes heat transfer
- Reliable PCB construction